Monday, April 14, 2014

Getting Around Town

It's really hard to know what needs to go in this last post from Haiti.  I'm learning a bit of blog craft along the way and I recognize that many of the vignettes and stories require more context than a blog provides.  So I will try to edit somewhat.  I feel like yesterday kind of ran on a bit.

I will start, though, by wrapping up yesterday, in which we waited for ages for the 'hurry up let's go.'  What followed was an invigorating ride to a spectacular viewpoint of PAP in the ritzy suburb of Petionville.  Petionville is essentially Beverly Hills to the rest of Haiti's Appalachia.  The evening kind of wrapped up with a surprise trip into town for...wait for it...pizza.  And not bad pizza, at that.  Not worried too much about the pizza dough being shipped in from anywhere, right?  That's a reference to my own private anaphylactic allergy.  Anaphylaxis in Haiti:  bad idea jeans.

The rest of the evening was kind of our personal tap-tap ride.  Tap-taps are personal taxi/buses, commonly Toyota trucks with seats built into the back, and the bed cover balanced on top.  It was weird to see my ratty little pickup times 100, trolling the streets of Haiti.

Anyway, the ministry has rigged up a couple trucks like this, with no seating for transporting large numbers of folks.  Quite entertaining, and a little adventurous: great for bonding.  Also the source of such games as Name That Smoke, which I will elaborate on later.  For the moment, though, my fat fingers are done fighting with the spellchecker, so...more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment